Search Unity

1. We've closed the job boards. If you're looking for work, or looking to hire check out Unity Connect. You can see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.3 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dear Unity developers what's the purpose of Connect ?

Discussion in 'Unity Connect' started by hh3000, Jan 9, 2018.

1. hh3000

hh3000

Dear developers,
    I understand you're trying to improve the users experience, but why? The forums just WORK. So far Connect has been a waste of time. And maybe because of the time difference, I live in Australia, I found when posting a question in Connect, I've received no replies.
    And why have you moved the jobs board to connect? With everything developers have to do when making a game, modeling etc, weather you're solo or in a team it seems to me like another extra task to do, it's a chore, having to muck about with Connect when I can use the forums instead.
    I believe in keeping it simple, so the forums does what it's suppose to do for me. Connect is just a negative experience, it's a pain.

2. Pabac

Pabac

Because of the time zone, I think Connect or forums can't solve your problem, you still can't get immediate responses in forums right?
    But yeah I would prefer if Unity keeps it simple....

3. eatsleepindie

eatsleepindie

This subject has been covered at length. The consensus is that Unity does not care that we all preferred the forums; they are forcing us to use this shoddy beta system while they figure out what it's going to be in the future. There is a term for this that escapes me at the moment, but encompasses what is happening here: a company forces its user base to use a beta system that has very little thought behind its design, and thus they design it via the free feedback they receive.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Well as a fan of forums I'm immediately biased, forums aren't out of date and are still the most useful method of sharing data outside of newsgroups, beating discord and all modern attempts to go one better, if only because you can use google and utilise the solutions of so many other people.

But I can see connect growing into something useful - if we, the users, signal in a constructive manner what we would like to see from connect. In my case, I would like to see a serious place similar to linked in. I do not want to play happy families on connect. I want a place that's serious and focused enough for me to use money on - kind of like the ultimate unity-centric jobs board.

What you you guys want from connect?

LaneFox likes this.
  5. LaneFox

LaneFox

Not social features and chatrooms.

hippocoder likes this.
  6. eatsleepindie

eatsleepindie

I could bump my forum post every 3 days to find work via a forum thread that served me well as a way of showing off some of my work and getting potential clients interested in hiring me. There is nothing akin to that on Connect.

There seems to be this misunderstanding that we are simply complaining about Connect, and that is absolutely incorrect. I want to provide feedback and make Connect as good as it can be; my gripe exists in that they closed what was already working to force us to use a system that is still very much in beta. It is heavy-handed and not in the best interest of us consumers/users.

Slack/Skype exist as alternatives to the chat. In fact everything that exists in Connect exists elsewhere and IMHO falls short when compared to alternatives. The only thing that doesn't exist outside of Connect is a replacement for the job forums they removed. There is no other Unity-centric forum for finding work or hiring developers. Unity had the only one, and Connect is far from a worthy successor.

hippocoder likes this.